Re: [T3] Chrome

Maybe I couldn't see it very well, but your chrome didn't look that bad to
me, Dennis. To rechrome those bumpers, you'd need to remove the rubber
strip, and you won't be able to do that without destroying it. And those
strips are irreplacable.

I found that I was able to get the vast majority of the bumps out of my
bumpers with the help of a hydraulic press and some carefully made wood
blocks. A couple shapes of blocks to fit inside and outside, around the
rubber strip, will do wonders if you're careful and willing to work slowly.

You'll want to take the bumper brackets off to do this, but that's pretty
easy, and that will let you straighten, sandblast, and paint the brackets
(black) if you haven't already.

I did mine working by myself, but having a second person to help hold things
would have made it go a lot faster.

I'll bet you've got one of those presses in your shop.

When I was finished I wirebrushed and painted the insides with alum
Rustoleum with a brush. The finished product wasn't perfect, but they were a
terrific improvement over the bent up bumpers I started with.

A little chrome polish on the outer face will help make any pits there seem
less obvious. You've probably already done that part.

--
*******************************
Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org

*******************************
Actually that bumper is from three bumpers. The rubber strip from one the
brackets from another and the blade from yet another. We've had no issue
removing the rubber strip and putting it back on. You just need some
penetrating oil to spray on the nuts that hold them on and be real carful
taking them on and off.  But it may be a different story you guys up north
in the salt belt but our humidity doesn't exactly make everything rust free
down here on the other hand.  I may try to straighten it up some more when I
have the time.  The video really doesn't show how bad the little rust pits
are just like it didn't show that we already painted the brackets black.
It's not top on my list on things that need to be done to the car right now
just something to do later.

Dennis Stiefel